Photography

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Clay Tags & Starfish









It seems that homemade clay tags are the latest craft sweeping the world of pinterest! Well, not the latest, but for me, it's something new I stumbled on while surfing the other day.  Usually when something strikes my interest (or rather I "pin" it), I have to try it for myself.  My motto is, I'll always try something once.  Usually the outcome determines if I'll ever try it again or not.

I apologize, but I didn't remember (sorry) to take pictures of each step of my process, but you can search pinterest and find many ways to make these little jewels!

Anyway, I started off with molding clay that you can bake, purchased at Hobby Lobby.  I preheated the oven to 275, used wax paper on a cookie sheet, warmed up the clay with my hands, then rolled it out with my rolling pin, used a cap from one of my spices to cut the circle (a small cookie cutter would have been better), used numbered stamps I had to create a numbered indent, then punched a hole in the top with a straw.  I placed them on the wax paper/cookie sheet and baked them for about 18 min.   After baking I let them cool, then painted with craft paint (.99 at Walmart).  Then I used some thin jute for the string.  You could use whatever you want.

Painting inside the numbers and staying inside the lines was the hardest part of the process for me.  They didn't turn out perfect, but turned out good enough.  Here are a couple of examples of what I did with them.  I really like the way the ones turned out with the starfish.  I am totally obsessed with starfish anyway, so I was happy.  Enjoy!



Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment